Student News Site of Klein Forest High School

The Pinnacle

The Pinnacle

The Pinnacle

‘Mental health is health’

Student group Redeem the Esteem promotes mental health awareness.
Juniors+Kennedi+Nguyen%2C+Emily+Vo%2C+and+Hayley+Tu+teach+Greenwood+Elementary+students+about+healthy+and+unhealthy+relationships.+
Photo Courtesy of Kristin Ordanes
Juniors Kennedi Nguyen, Emily Vo, and Hayley Tu teach Greenwood Elementary students about healthy and unhealthy relationships.

Juniors Hayley Tu and Kennedi Nguyen approach the swarm of students in the halls of Klein Forest to put a positive thought on their minds:

“What is one thing you can do to make yourself proud today?” 

Yesterday, Redeem the Esteem expanded their reach and visited Greenwood Elementary to talk to fifth graders about their campaign, building self esteem, and healthy relationships as well as friendships.

“Hopefully, when they go to middle school, it prevents low self esteem,” Junior Emily Vo said. “They’re aware of what it is and how it can affect them.” 

Redeem the Esteem was established last year for the Mental Health Promotion category in the HOSA competition. Tu, Vo, and Nguyen advanced to state after making a social media account focused on preventing low self esteem.

“We were interested in spreading mental health awareness and giving out the idea that ‘mental health is health,’ which is why we focus on that competition rather than other ones.” Tu said.

The organization provides accessible tips and resources for teens. As a result, they’ve garnered 140 followers on Instagram @redeemtheesteem. They plan to promote mental health inclusivity beyond the Klein Forest student body through interviews with admin and faculty.

On December 5, they posted tips for coping with test anxiety and student-provided tips in their “Question of the Day” segment. 

“I just think about what’s coming after the test,” junior Leon Rodriguez said in response to, “how do you cope with testing anxiety.”

Redeem the Esteem boosts student morale as each week gets more hectic. By asking simple questions, they inspire students and faculty to self reflect and acknowledge their accomplishments and habits.

Self esteem is the dominant predictor of happiness, as high self esteem directly correlates to well-being and low self esteem can be the root of mental health problems like depression and anxiety. 

View Comments (1)